Ohio State has already performed 10 video games this season. However in some ways, the true season begins in the present day because the fourth-ranked Buckeyes host No. 7 Michigan State at Ohio Stadium. The sport will kick off at midday and shall be televised nationally by ABC.
The winner can be effectively positioned to assert the Jap Division berth for the Large Ten championship sport with one week left to play.
Click on right here to take part in our OSU-Michigan State Sport Day Thread on the Entrance Row message board. Click on right here for our Sport Knowledge web page with our full preview and prediction.
As at all times, now we have our Ten Urgent Questions characteristic to arrange you for in the present day’s sport. We are going to present the solutions in our First Look column. Right here we go:
* 1. Can Ohio State get out to a quick begin? – The Buckeyes opened rapidly in opposition to Rutgers, Indiana, Maryland and Purdue and buried every of these groups. OSU stumbled early in opposition to Penn State and Nebraska and people turned full 60-minute video games. Do you sense a development? Watch Ohio State’s early play and mannerisms because the Buckeyes attempt to knock the Spartans out of the field early.
* 2. Will Ohio State set up RB TreVeyon Henderson early and infrequently? – Ohio State received again to its roots by speeding for over 200 yards with final week’s win over Purdue. OSU struggled with the run within the Penn State and Nebraska video games. MSU is twentieth nationally in speeding protection, permitting simply 115.2 ypg.
* 3. Can C.J. Stroud keep scorching and assault MSU’s porous go protection? – Stroud was an environment friendly 31 of 38 passing for 361 yards and 5 touchdowns in final week’s 59-31 rout of Purdue. In seven begins for the reason that loss to Oregon, Stroud has thrown 23 touchdowns passes in opposition to three interceptions. MSU is available in lifeless final (one hundred and thirtieth) nationally in passing protection, permitting 329.0 ypg. Within the final three video games, MSU allowed 406 yards passing to Michigan, 536 to Purdue and 350 to Maryland (a median of 430.7 ypg). Stroud might find yourself within the 350- to 450-yard vary in the present day if every thing goes effectively.
* 4. Which OSU receiver will flourish in the present day? – It was Jaxon Smith-Njigba with 15 catches in opposition to Nebraska and Garrett Wilson with 4 touchdowns final week in opposition to Purdue. Does that imply it’s senior Chris Olave’s activate what’s going to little doubt be his last look at Ohio Stadium? He can tie David Boston’s profession landing receiving file with a TD catch in the present day.
* 5. Will the Ohio State offensive line preserve Stroud clear and open operating lanes for Henderson? – This shall be a heck of a match-up. Michigan State is second to OSU in sacks within the Large Ten. The Spartans are led by defensive ends Jacub Panasiuk and Jeff Pietrowski, who every have 5-1/2 sacks this season.
* 6. Can the Buckeyes comprise Michigan State RB Kenneth Walker III? – Walker, a Wake Forest switch, is second nationally in speeding yards per sport (147.3 ypg). He ran for 197 yards and 5 touchdowns in MSU’s win over Michigan three weeks in the past. OSU is thirteenth nationally in speeding protection, permitting 105.9 ypg. The Buckeyes should be bodily up entrance and get a ton of helmets to the ball. Walker is among the many nationwide leaders in tackles evaded.
* 7. Can the Buckeyes get stress on MSU QB Payton Thorne? – OSU averaged practically 5 sacks per sport between the Indiana, Maryland, Penn State and Nebraska video games. However the Buckeyes by no means received to the quarterback final week and Aidan O’Connell ended up throwing for 390 yards. OSU DEs Zach Harrison and Tyreke Smith want to face up and be counted.
* 8. Will the Ohio State secondary quit huge performs? – There have been go protection breakdowns the final two weeks with huge chunk performs by Nebraska and Purdue. Michigan State has the receivers to use any protection breaks with Jayden Reed and Jalen Nailor. OSU’s corners and safeties have to be locked in in the present day.
* 9. Will the particular groups issue on this sport? – OSU’s Noah Ruggles has not missed a subject aim or PAT kick but. However MSU’s Matt Coghlin has additionally proven nice vary. May Garrett Wilson spark OSU with an enormous punt return?
* 10. Will this be a loud huge sport crowd or will OSU followers sit on their fingers? – OSU followers like to complain in regards to the midday begins. The Buckeyes want the sellout crowd of over 105,000 to return and are available onerous in the present day.
* Bonus Query: Are the Buckeyes the perfect workforce within the Large Ten East? – The Buckeyes would clinch no less than a share of the Large Ten East title – a tenth straight divisional title of some kind – with a win in the present day. However the Buckeyes would nonetheless want a win at Michigan subsequent week to punch their ticket to Indianapolis. OSU can present its dominance – and enhance its CFB Playoff inventory – with a robust win in the present day.
We are going to let you understand how they do. Benefit from the sport and take a look at Bucknuts.com later in the present day for the entire protection.